Restoration mini! 

My wife and me bought this little mini about 2012/13. It had standard everything but needed some engine TLC. With a Haynes manual and a few tools it ran like a dream. 

We spotted some rust coming through so me being me thought why renew when you can modify 😁 so I got some 13by7 wheels and cut the arches away ( which had the rust ) slapped on some arches. Then I noticed water in the foot well one day. It was coming from the seams.😱 so had an 💡 de-seam it!!! After a bit of fiddling about it looked fine! Blow over with paint and hey presto, a brilliant little car!!! 

Fast forward a few years and the dreaded rust has appeared in the front end and on the back valence!! Grrrr…… this is my little blog of the little car having surgery!!! 

Ps I’m not a pro by any means, just a home old school kinda guy 😜

13/11/2016

Just rubbed down the underside of the bonnet and wiped clean, popped on the heater as it’s really cold. I have never sprayed a top coat before so didn’t know what to expect. So charged up the compressor and mixed up the top coat colour. Started spraying and all seemed ok, then as I looked I thought I need to get in all the nooks and crannies. So I tried getting in there. Thought great I got it all covered !!! So I popped out had a drink and had a peek back in. Oh no I had runs where I got in the nooks!!! 

So I tried blowing air on them and spreading it. No joy, so I wrapped a wipe round a screwdriver and rotated while dabbing the main part of the run. Worked quite well so left it for another 15mins.

I decided to just paint 2 more coats so when dry I can pop a small amount of fine fill Over the run, then just before it’s fully set I can get 400grit wet and dry paper and sand it down through the run drip, and take the filler around it down till it’s gone, then the theory is the drip has gone flat and the filler has protected the paint around it. Then just polish it out!!! 

Putting it back together now so I can spin it around and do the back. ( it’s a small garage)

Advertisements